Tuesday, May 24, 2011

‘Spider Man: Turn Off The Dark’ Releases New Promo Photos

Previews for Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark are scheduled to begin this Friday but, if you can believe it, the big budget Broadway musical was *still* dealing with safety issues just last weekend! The official opening night of the show has already been pushed back to January but, ready or not, the show will go [...]

On Monday night David and I attended an early screening of the new film Burlesque which stars the legendary Cher and Christina Aguilera in her feature film debut. To be honest, I really wasn’t all that excited to see the film but I had a hard time turning down an offer to see the movie in full for free in order to make an honest assessment of the film. Long story short, I didn’t love the movie but I also didn’t hate the movie:




After the jump, read some of my thoughts on the film and find out what I liked and what I disliked about Burlesque. I will say right now, the movie is fun to watch and might be worth putting on your Must See Movie list …


I was very surprised by Xtina Aguilera‘s performance. No, she wasn’t spectacular but she was not the worst part of the film. What hurts the movie, I think, are the far too numerous clichés that are thrown into the storyline. I can’t even list them all … from the young ingenue singer (who loses her mother at a young age, I might add) who moves from a small town to the big city to make it big cliché to the aging former star who takes said ingenue under her wing in order to save her club from foreclosure cliche and every other similar cliché in between — it’s just hard to take the story very seriously. To be honest, not all of the musical numbers are that good … but there are a couple of really AMAZING performances. When the music starts up, the feel of Burlesque ranges from Coyote Ugly to a bad Pussycat Dolls music video. That being said, the gays will LOVE this movie. There were a lot of gays in the audience at my screening and they all applauded every time Cher opened her mouth to sing … or even speak. There is a scene where Cam Giganet is totally nekkid and the gays next to me actually gasped out loud and moaned! Yes, there is a lot in Burlesque to keep most gays happy. I, personally, had fun watching the film … Cher is fabulous and Xtina‘s acting ain’t all bad. The music is fun … which makes the whole thing kinda fun. Burlesque is no Chicago but it is a good time at the movies. Inexplicably, Xtina sings her own version of the Marilyn Manson song The Beautiful People which makes no sense at all … but, again, for the most part I had fun.


I think I’ll be heading out to the movies again tonight … Love and Other Drugs and Tangled both open today along with Burlesque. I’m not sure which movie I’ll see but I deffo want to see them both.


Tonight is the biggest drinking night of the year so I hope that all y’all will be SAFE tonight! No drinking and driving, y’all! Party safe and have fun!



Eminem
Jewelry for girls
Aaliyah
Wedding toast
Louis Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment